D.N. Foster Award
In recognition of Doug Foster’s contribution to Australian coastal engineering, the National Committee on Coastal & Ocean Engineering created the Doug N. Foster Memorial Fellowship Fund in September 2001.
A Professor at the University of NSW (UNSW) and an expert in his chosen engineering specialisation of Water, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Doug was a founding member of the Engineers Australia National Committee on Coastal and Ocean Engineering (NCCOE), which was established in 1971. Doug served on NCCOE until 1985, during which time he was Deputy Chairman from 1979 to 1981 and subsequently Chairman from 1981 to 1983. He was a member of IEAust from 1960 until 1998.
The award is presented to encourage engineering students to pursue career opportunities in coastal and/or ocean engineering. Up to four Awards will be offered to students who are in their final two years of their first engineering degree at the time of the biennial Australasian Coasts & Ports Conference. The award provides the opportunity for students to attend the Australasian Coasts & Ports Conference.
The inaugural presentation of the Award(s) coincided with the Australasian Coasts & Ports Conference.
The successful applicants will be announced prior to the conference. Each student winning an Award will receive free registration and up to $1000 worth of travel and accommodation to attend the Australasian Coasts & Ports Conference.
Eligibility criteria are as follows
- Applicants must be engineering students in the final two years of their first engineering degree at the time of the conference
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents
- Applicants must be enrolled at an Australian University at the time of the Conference
- Nominees must be available to attend the Australasian Coasts and Ports Conference related to the award.
- Applications for the award will be called for in conjunction with the call for papers for the conference
- Responsibility for selecting the recipient(s) rests with the National Committee on Coastal & Ocean Engineering
Applicants will need to submit:
- a single A4 page outlining why they should receive the award to develop their interest in Coastal and/or Ocean engineering;
- a copy of their academic record; and
- a reference in support of the application from an appropriate academic staff member of the enrolling institution.
You must provide the following with your submission:
- Completed Nomination Form
- Copy of their academic record
- Nominee’s current CV including employment history and achievements
- Nominee’s current Biographical Information
- Nominee’s portrait photo
Nominations Close 31 May 2023
Submit here Engineers Australia Recognition Awards (awardsplatform.com)